Thursday, August 6, 2015

Yoho National Park/ Lake OHara/ Wapta Falls July 26-31/2015








July 26/July 31/2015


Lake OHara, Yoho National Park


Kicking Horse/Monarch Campground, Field BC



Our trips seem to be changing, and I like to think they are improving.
Ruth and I knew when we bought Willow things would adjust to what worked and what didn't...This year with unexpected expenses , we decided we were going to visit local places. What's happening is our trips are shorter with less travel time. We are blessed with the country we live in so it's not hard to find some beautiful spots. Probably things will change again, we are forming a list of now favorite areas to go to, repeats...
This trip we headed out on a Sunday afternoon so we would be able to get a spot that weekend visitors had just left. We landed at Kicking Horse Campground with a backup of a favorite site at Monarch just down the road. If you are lucky enough to get a site next to the mountain you get a beautiful view, some noise from Trans Canada and more from trains heading to Field but I could think of worse sounds..
We managed to get a site at Kicking Horse # 49 and took a walk around campground , as everyone does to see if a more private site was going to be available. The following morning we moved to site 45 against the Kicking Horse River and a backup of trees..




Cathedral Craigs

Mount Stephen Morning Light.

Site # 45 Sunny in afternoon

There we are tucked in against the trees. No avalanche should hit us.


This campsite overloads your senses with the view, it's everywhere you look. Beautiful.

Kicking Horse River runs along the base of the mtn. just behind the van.




















The moment we or I get out of the van, we nest, put the picnic table cloth on, I sweep the floor and out come the cameras. Good routine.....?



This resulted in Ruth getting this photo right from that spot and I think it is a great shot...










Step two....


Mt. Stephen glacier close up, we would be amazed at the actual size close up!






Different view everytime you look up....




Just Magical 

Most of our mornings were rainy, clouds where very low. 

Which raises the question??



Yoho National Park

Weather and Climate

The weather in Yoho National Park is localized and changeable.
Summer weather extends from mid-June to mid-September. The mean temperature during this period is 12.5° C, with average high temperatures of 20° C and low temperatures of 5° C. Above 1500m elevation, freezing temperatures and snow are not uncommon in the summer.
In winter, temperatures range from 10° C to –35° C from November through April, with average temperatures between 5° C and –15° C. The coldest weather usually occurs from December to February.
Located on the west side of the Continental Divide, Yoho National Park receives more rainfall and snowfall than areas east of the divide. Precipitation increases with elevation.

Field elevation 1243 m (4078 ft.)

Average annual rainfall: 314 mm
Average annual snowfall: 332 cm
Kicking Horse Pass (elevation 1625 m)
Average annual rainfall: 385 mm
Average annual snowfall: 461 cm


As a comparison, Calgary is 1048 M (3438 ft.)

One of the bonus of camping at Monarch is the view of the KH pass. you get to see the thunderstorms roll from beginning to end. Have to verify with Ruth, but I don't think we have ever made a trip without some rain and usually a thunderstorm. In the beginning of our travels when tenting, it was a test to keep dry, made us appreciate Willow even more. There are always rainbows at the end of the storms. This photo was taken on a trip with Elsie in 2008. Another memory .....


Monarch Campground Yoho National Park 2008


Wapta Falls


On Tuesday am....after our morning routine of coffee (me) brekkie, books a lookout at view. It was not warm enough this trip to sit outside with coffee...Our mornings were +5 to +7.....We even used the furnace a bit to warm up.
We started off for the hike to Wapta falls.

Looking at this write up on the falls....I did not find trail easy!  Yes it was for the most part...perfect. but after seeing the first glimpse of the falls from the top we turned and started down to the beach and there was a fork in the road....I think we took the wrong fork at the advice of another hiker (better views) It was just to steep for me, I have trouble with heights.....Not the actual trail being steep but the cliffs (hills) on the sides of the trail...
Others of course would not find that hard but even with a walking stick, I told Ruth numerous times "This is not fun".  Looking back after the hike I would not do it again....We found a uphill path strewn with roots to come back on....much more generous to height challenged people.







WAPTA FALLS

Synopsis
An easy stroll to the top of the falls. Often used by campers for that daily jog. Suitable for small children. Don’t expect to be alone.

Hike

TrailheadGravel path leaves from south edge of parking area. It is marked with a National parks trail signpost.
TrailAn easy stroll along a level path for 1.9 kilometres to the top of the falls. From here, a trail heads back into the forest for a bit before heading to the river and the bottom of the falls. You lose about 60 metres in elevation on the way down, and regain it coming back up. Worth the trip.



Ruth wears her Fitbit on our hikes, sometimes we find results surprising.
Her findings on Wapta falls was 
8006 steps
19 flights of stairs (that I believe!)
4.15 K
1539 calories (disappointing)




First leg of the trip was very easy, lots of people out for a stroll.










Had to take this photo of a burl?? deformed tree....A fellow in the Yukon used to make bowls out of these formations....












First glimpse of Wapta Falls......Certainly not a comfortable place for me to be....Very high, I so wish I could enjoy the view, relax and take photos but my knees just freeze up become very stiff and even close to tears??????? I'm trying!!!




















Path down to the river and falls....



We stopped another hiker at this point just to ensure we were on the right path.
There was a fork in the road and he suggested taking the path on the left, "better views"
I cannot take it again....yes there were better views he was right, but I cannot comfortably negotiate the steep paths with cliffs.....can't do it.....










No smiles at this point. I am reaching for the nearest tree trunk not having any confidence its going to hold me.....!



Ruth said smile! and this is all I could muster....




This does not give the proper perspective how steep this was.....!
But the views were spectacular.



I think I had to bum dust this section.....I honestly can't remember 



Once down on the riverbed and a short rest to stop my legs shaking! we found treasures.
This rock (don't tell anyone) is now on my windowsill......I brought my own mountain home with me.....To me it looks like a full mountain range along the bottom and fluffy white clouds above......and all a beautiful teal green......when wet.....Beautiful....
 As long as this hike was, I elected to haul a couple of beauties home. Even found a beautiful copper colored scene for Ruth and John.....












Treasure Cove ;-))





Lunch Break.....couldn't pick a better spot.

I still cannot get over the variety of rocks.....beautiful....








John's Rock.....




Another great mountain vista....I couldn't carry them all home....

I don't understand how all these different formations all break off in pieces and end up in the same river bed in the same valley....Beautiful.......







My turn




Homeward bound.....a much more pleasant walk...uphill yes but no cliffs.
Roots for stairs, what more could you ask!


Host stump






Bunchberry




Devils Club.





Our last view of Wapta Falls.....Proud of ourselves....These hikes are a slog for me...
but look at all we are finding....Now we have favorites that we have to return to....Haven't seen quite enough....
Love it.


Final tally 8006 steps, 19 stairs, 4.15 K and only 1539 Calories!!!!!!!!



July 29th 2015

Lake Ohara AB.







Lake OHara is a national treasure. The national parks  are protecting this lady and so they should....

Map of Yoho National Park

Lake O'Hara Trails Map

file:///C:/Users/Heather/Downloads/2015-guide-yoho_en_acc.pdf

Link to Yoho National Park with all necessary info....

Reservations are required for the shuttle bus or camping or guided hikes at Lake OHara.
This year the date for those reservations is April 20/2016
I must be on the ball and get online as I have heard the full year reservations are filled within 1 1/2 hours.....Visitors are international so must be quick. I think you end up taking what you can, rather than when its necessarily good for you......
2015 I missed the deadline and thank goodness with the help of Ian, a former co-worker and friend and currently a bus driver on the OHara route managed to get two seats for us on the bus. I cannot thank him enough......Added benefit, we arrived on his lunch break and he was able to walk the lake loop with us.....a personal guided tour.....




Trail Descriptions

Lake O'Hara Shoreline Trail

Length : 2.8 km circuit
Elevation gain : minor up and down
From the O'Hara Warden Cabin, go east across a bridge over Cataract Brook, and follow the north shore of the lake past the start of the Wiwaxy Gap/Huber Ledges Alpine Route on the left. Continue along a steep hillside and across several gullies above the lake. At the eastern end of the lake, the trail passes the Lake Oesa Trail junction before passing below a huge outcropping of pink quartzite and Seven Veils Falls.



Do you see the word steep.....Ian assured me it was a short steep section....Turned out it wasn't the trail that was steep but the cliffs......


It was the most beautiful day......Poured rain most of the day which required poncho's off and on but not blustery, just a nice soft rain.....I loved this hike, its the best this year....
10 out of 10 (even the steep parts....just maybe I will conquer this fear of mine)


12 K Bus trip up the road








 The weather this week had been a little cool and occasionally rainy. Mornings were about +5 +7 but warmed up in the afternoon....
Our Lake day turned out to be 80% rain....but that was perfectly OK....
We were prepared with our jackets, boots, rain ponchos and of course lunch!




Ian although was more cavalier! off he came in shorts and an umbrella....Gave me a big smile....



Trail begins with a flat walk around the edge of the lake...Even in the rain lots of opportunities for photos.

























How beautiful....I can't say more.....






Ian's bus!




A healthy dose of required reflections in a day.




This whole area must be in a rain and snow melt...the moss was everywhere and beautiful....



Rain quit for a bit.....so it's off with the ponchos




Ignore the rain drops, obviously back to rain. The color of Lake OHara is amazing perhaps moreso on an overcast rainy day...We will have to go back on a sunny day....








































As Ruth and I walk along we always find different things to take photos of....Sometimes losing each other on the path....Usually if its something spectacular we make sure the other sees it....
Then we share photos, so ones that I missed like this beauty....I still have.....




No more words are needed, the photo tells the story.....


My continuing struggles with cliffs......I think in this photo I am holding up the mountain...
I think it helps when you walk at an angle....







The path is wide enough, it depends how steep the cliff is below.....









This outcropping of rock that we have to walk around is made of pink quartzite 

It actually looks like there was an avalanche of rock.....











you can see the pink quartz in this photo



























Baby Merganzer


Every once in a while if you take hundreds of photos, you manage to get a good one. ;-)




I had to explain to Ruth and Ian that they could not be the focus in the photo.
The view is just to good to miss.......







Seven Veils Falls.

Perfect spot for lunch and not raining!

Ian had to head back to the bus so Ruth and I just wandered further.












This fellow was having lunch also.




Zoom














Grass of Parnassus. 














This reflection took a while to figure out.....when you follow the water line you realize the
darker portion is underwater with a stone? sitting on it. I didn't see that when I took the photo. I was noticing the flowers reflected in the water.....



Random shots as we were waiting for the bus.....

















































As I mentioned I am counting this hike as my favorite of the year. I can see why this is a protected area....If you see the millions of people John & I ran into at Lake Louise and Moraine Lake I can see how the numbers have to be limited as this tender area would not support all those footsteps.....Again I thank Ian for his assistance.....allowing my and Ruth's footsteps to be included this year.....and we are planning to reserve Ap. 20 for three, I would love John to see this beauty in his own backyard.





PS....We invited Ian for supper back at our camp at Kicking Horse campground..(no we didn't just eat cookies)...


'Great day, great visit....how lucky we are...really.......



Final tally 11,450 steps, 5.08 K and 25 stairs....











Labels: